Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Mental Slavery...

Hello wonderful people!!!! I know it's pretty early and it's a Sunday but I just created my blog and I am super excited about my first post. The only sad thing is that it begins with the mental enslavement of most of people still in our Jamaican society. I was at work one day in the line staff lunch room which already shows social division, yes I said it. There is one lunch room for line staff and one for sups/managers. Anyhow, this rasta man walks into the lunch room and sits next to this brownin, as we would put it in our indigenous language. I usually block out what is going on around me in that room and focus on more pressing matters like when is my next nail appointment lol kidding but I could not help but overhear what this man saying to the brownin. He told her how beautiful her brown skin was and how much is brownin him love and he chided her about a bruise she had on her hand and told her not to spoil her pretty skin. By this, being a beautiful dark skinned woman I had to pause my thoughts on my nails and look at who is really talking. The woman was soo put off by him. BTW his wife is a dark-skinned woman. Another light-skinned woman walked in and asked him how him just admiring up the woman so, what happen to his wife at home. He proceeded to say, that he loves his wife but him just love brownin more, he would do anything for a brownin. He asked the other light-skinned woman, which of you are browner? That is when I almost became ill. Now I understand why the lunch rooms are divided and many other procedures are the way they are where I work. The very same people that complain about inequality are the same slaves of their own minds. At that point, I only had pity for myself as a sensible dark-skinned woman as it means I have to work twice as hard to prove I have evolved. Please emancipate your minds people. Free yourselves from the mental bondage that oppressed us back in slavery days. Educate your minds, not necessarily with books but with the change of the times. Have a blessed Sunday!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow.....deep...really like it....It is sad that we are still trapped in this "brown is better" mentality.... we definitely need to be freed

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness.
    Marcus Garvey

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was discussing this just last night, i said a black woman has to try twice as hard to be noticed for her personality in comparison to a brownin. kno wat my frend said 'mayb the black girl shud wear a low cut top or tighter jeans' when i said WTF he said 'adding sex appeal is less degrading than asking them to bleach' our society really needs an awakening...Rocky

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I shouldn't be surprised though, I bump into scenarios like these pretty often, i'm just deeply saddened every time I encounter di tings dem. I remember once my father told me when I was young, that I should make sure I get an education, so no man can tell me to bendover for me to get ahead, no pun intended he forgot to add the qualification may also help downplay internal skin colour discrimination. I never understood it well until my adult years. I rarely have been exposed to acts of racism and discriminations but I observe it all the time. Luckily my socialization as a child gave me an open mind to handle matters of this nature.

    ReplyDelete